Welcome!

Hey, thanks for stopping by. I hope you will enjoy reading my entries, and please feel free to comment or share. Oh yeah- really sorry about all the weird ads.







Peace & Blessings,







Chiquita Blondita




Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Another Day, or Something More?

What would you be willing to give up in order to gain something that you truly value?

Today is Ash Wednesday, and Christians around the globe- particularly those from a Catholic persuasion- are marking this as the first day of Lent. It is traditionally a time where the observer "fasts" or gives up something for the 40 day period leading up to Easter as an act of spiritual cleansing or religious obedience. It is a practice that has been observed for centuries, for better or worse.

But what about people who are not Catholic, Christian, or even religious? For many, such an observance might seem like nonsense at best and self-aggrandizing, martyr-esque deprivation at worst. But what if it is actually something more- what if it is an opportunity for personal growth, spiritual renewal, and positive change? Just as Mother Nature uses this season to renew and recharge and the earth experiences a sort of rebirth with the coming of Spring, so can we. We can absolutely use the period of Lent as a springboard for renewal in our own lives.

Now, I'm not Catholic, but I was wrestling for the past week with what I would like to give up for Lent this year: Red meat? Alcohol? The F-word? I wanted to be intentional about it, not just pick something random and hope it stuck. I also didn't want to just give up something just to say I did it. Where's the added value in that? For me, it really comes down to a question of what I want to gain- spiritually, physically, or emotionally- not what I want to give up.

Should be an interesting 40 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, you know, unless they suck.