Welcome!

Hey, thanks for stopping by. I hope you will enjoy reading my entries, and please feel free to comment or share. Oh yeah- really sorry about all the weird ads.







Peace & Blessings,







Chiquita Blondita




Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Update: Back in Cali

For the past 2 weeks, I embarked on the adventure of a lifetime!

I can say honestly that this was the hardest (physical) thing I've ever done in my life. The months of intense training and excitement could not possibly have prepared me for the challenge that I faced. Along with 26 other amazingly passionate and slightly insane trekkers, we were on a mission to raise $100,000 and climb Mt. Kilimanjaro- the tallest mountain in all of Africa.

I made it to all three of the hut encampments: Mandara (Day 1), Horombo (Day 2), and Kibo (Day 4). I wish I could tell you that I made it to the summit... but I didn't. But I tried, and even though I was sick on the summit day hike (I will spare you the gory details) I gave it my all, and I got really far- but of the 27 people on our team who started the 6-day climb, only 17 reached the summit and sadly, I was not among them. In the pitch dark and cold, I turned back after reaching just past the halfway point of the first peak during final ascent, unable to complete the segment. Imagine my heartbreak and disappointment. Kili humbled me!

Nonetheless, I am proud of what I was able to do and more importantly, what we were able to do as a team: raise desperately needed funds for Tumaini International Ministries to benefit AIDS orphaned kids and build community in Kenya, East Africa! At last count, we had raised about $85,000 of the $100,000 goal!

The 17 men and women on our team who did reach the summit of Uhuru Peak are superstars in every way. I am in awe, and have nothing but the greatest respect for each one. However, I also have the greatest respect for everyone who stepped out of their comfort zone and onto that mountain- whether they made it to the top or not. Without question, every one of us had to dig down deep and find the strength and courage to do something ridiculous, personally challenging, and sacrificial. And because of the kids and families we were doing it for, it was totally, unequivocally worth every torturous minute.

Back in SoCal and the comforts of home, I'm slowly recovering from the grueling travel schedule, jet lag, and beat-down that Kili gave me. My face, which was grossly disfigured from swelling, blisters, and sun/windburn, has returned to almost normal. The swelling on my feet is almost gone, along with the blisters, and the toenail that I'm about to lose will surely grow back in due time. And yes, given the opportunity, I would absolutely try again to reach that stinkin' summit and make Kilimanjaro my footstool... you win this time, Kili... but watch out, I may be back.

There is much and more that I still need to process from all I experienced in the last two weeks. So many things came to the surface that I want to, need to, deal with... good things, ugly things, lots of things. But for right now, for this moment, I'm content and grateful to be home and richer for the experience.

1 comment:

  1. Marcellus thegrimrapier@hotmail.comFebruary 3, 2012 at 1:34 AM

    Sorry to read that you couldn't make it to the top. I truly wish you the best in all of your adventures and hope that you get to achieve more of your dreams - you deserve it! You go , Girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, you know, unless they suck.