Welcome!

Hey, thanks for stopping by. I hope you will enjoy reading my entries, and please feel free to comment or share. Oh yeah- really sorry about all the weird ads.







Peace & Blessings,







Chiquita Blondita




Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Great Unknown

It's not unnatural to be apprehensive, even fearful, of the unknown.

In general, I like to have at least a vague idea of what to expect, especially when facing a new situation. If I'm being completely honest, then I can say my default mode is that I prefer to be in control and mentally prepared for several possible outcomes in any given situation, and I can get more than a little freaked out when things aren't going according to The Plan.

Looking back at how high-strung and tightly-wound I was in years past, it's no wonder that this need to be in control has caused more harm than good-- both to myself and to friends and loved ones. Nobody really likes to be bossed around. Nobody likes to feel that they are less capable than the know-it-all, my-way-or-the-highway, I'm-in-charge-here person that colored the better part of my adult life. I had prided myself on being a tough, scrappy girl, someone who fought hard to get out from under oppression to become a strong leader, in control of my own life. And that's true, but... being in control of my own life doesn't crown me the queen of anyone else's life. That isn't being a leader, that's called being a tyrant. I recognize this now, and only wish I had seen it clearly years ago.

I'm not quite there yet, but I've worked very hard at teaching myself to relax more and go with the flow, find more Zen in my day-to-day, embrace change and spontaneity, and surrender control and outcomes to the universal higher power I understand as God. It's not easy, until it is. And as a result I can say with conviction that every single time I relax my grip on whatever situation or circumstance I'm faced with, it is the right move. Everything works out, even if it isn't the outcome I had expected, anticipated, or even desired. There is always something good that comes from it! When I do the opposite, when I decide that it's totally up to me to steer and direct and control every aspect of every situation, guess what? I become a hot mess. A stressed-out, frazzled, short-tempered mess. Not exactly the attractive qualities that I was going for!

All of this to say that I'm finally starting to enjoy the unexpected. Sure, I still like to make plans and I like to be organized and prepared. I still battle with anxiety when I plan events, wanting everything to be perfect. I don't profess to just float along through life aimlessly, seeing where the tide will take me if I don't put any effort into it. But I'm really learning to welcome and embrace the adventure that makes life so very exciting... the unscripted, the improvised, The Great Unknown.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you, girl... So many wonderful changes and the best is yet to come!!! Can't wait until our trip to India- You are such an inspiration, I wouldn't want to share it with anyone else xxx

    Britta <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, you know, unless they suck.