Welcome!

Hey, thanks for stopping by. I hope you will enjoy reading my entries, and please feel free to comment or share. Oh yeah- really sorry about all the weird ads.







Peace & Blessings,







Chiquita Blondita




Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Why Do You Care?



Sometimes people ask why I care so much about kids thousands of miles away, when there are plenty of kids right here who need our help. I don't disagree; there are plenty of kids here in America who do need our help- so I do what I can, when I can, and where I can. And I hope you do too, especially if you are one of the people who asks "why help people in other countries when we have needs right here" or any variation of that question.

In the US, we have many state and federal programs as well as non-profit organizations, service clubs, synagogues and churches set up and dedicated to helping people right here. And that is great! It isn't quite the same in many other countries, thousands of miles away, where decades- even centuries- of extreme poverty, rampant unemployment, minimal education opportunities, government corruption, religious turf wars, natural disasters and a frightening lack of resources has forced generations of women to go without access to education or healthcare and where children become orphaned and have to try and raise themselves.

If you are fortunate enough to live in a country where you have the freedom to worship according to your choice of faith, you are one of the lucky ones.

If you have a college education, or even a high school education, you are one of the lucky ones.

If you have a job, a vehicle, a bank account, or a beloved pet; if you have family and friends, and have the freedom to marry for love or remain single, you are one of the lucky ones.

If you have a roof over your head, clothes on your body, shoes on your feet, and food in your belly... and your pantry... you are truly one of the lucky ones.

So when I hear from people with all of the above complaining about sending money for foreign aid, I honestly have to wonder how it has hurt them. I don't understand. And I wonder what they are doing to help meet the needs of people "right here" ...so I ask. Not because I think I'm somehow superior, hell I know I'm not. I just want to learn about the places where they volunteer, what they do support, what they are passionate about. What you care about matters, because it's only by reaching out to care for and help each other that we begin to understand what love really looks like, and develop compassion. Some would say that is when they feel connected to God. That's beautiful!

There are so many ways for people to get involved, and I firmly believe that any amount of good we do in this life is a positive thing for all humanity. I know that helping AIDS orphans in Africa is not something that every person is going to get excited about, and that's OK... because I am excited about it, and totally passionate about finding ways to make life better in my home, my community, and my world.

*The picture up top cracks me up! I love how Elizabeth is trying to push Rogers (shyest boy every) next to me for the shot. She was all, "Stand closer! Smile!" LOL

2 comments:

  1. You rock! Love u for all u do:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank you Ndinda! You are pretty amazing yourself. When do I get to call you Dr.?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, you know, unless they suck.