Welcome!

Hey, thanks for stopping by. I hope you will enjoy reading my entries, and please feel free to comment or share. Oh yeah- really sorry about all the weird ads.







Peace & Blessings,







Chiquita Blondita




Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Relationships 101

There are many reasons why we choose to call these visits a “Vision” Trip as opposed to a “Mission” Trip; the primary difference being that while we may be on a ‘mission’ so to speak, i.e., there are tasks we hope to complete while we are here, it is more important that we form strong, healthy relationships with our ministry partners here in Kenya and help friends back home catch the vision for the work being done.

For the task-oriented, highly efficient, go-go-go Western mindset, being in Kenya can be incredibly challenging, frustrating, or even discouraging. We want to come in and fix the problems quickly, get the job done, and move on… but that just isn’t the African way. It isn’t about the programs, it isn’t about the organization, and it isn’t even about the many different things that have been accomplished. This trip- in fact, this whole ministry- is all about relationships.

How we relate to each other, to our partners here and abroad, the communities we seek to serve and even how we relate to God… all of these relationships shape and impact our effectiveness in ministry. Certainly as men and women of faith, our primary relationship must be to God—if that one is broken or in need of attention, every other relationship will suffer in varying degrees. [Side note: I do not claim to be anything but a work in progress, and certainly struggle in some areas more than others…as anyone who knows me can attest to; but I am also covered in grace, and only hope I can extend the same to those around me.]

Because our small team of 3 is here at the same time as another Vision Trip team of 5, we are splitting the work and they are taking the majority of the home visits while we provide updated information on the kids at camp. I am grateful for that opportunity and just really glad that we could serve this way. Normally, I spend much of my time here on home visits, which has always been my favorite part of the trip. Something about connecting with the families on their home turf, learning first hand of their needs, praying with them and helping in some small yet significant way is very grounding for me personally. We did get to visit each of our sponsored kids’ homes yesterday, and it was remarkable!

Spending the last few days at the camp, I have been able to spend some time reconnecting with the staff here in Masii and am constantly amazed by the amount of work they do, day in and day out. Even a relatively simple task such as getting updates from the kids that we can send to their sponsors is a monumental undertaking—and has the potential to be very frustrating. But it has also proven to be a wonderful chance to see each and every child who is here this week, greet them, love on them, play with them, and marvel at how much they have grown—sometimes marvel that they are alive, even thriving, knowing how desperate their situations were prior to Tumaini. In the process I have also had the joy of sharing tea and working alongside my Kenyan brothers and sisters, as well as the friends I traveled with from the US. I have felt less like a tour guide on this trip, and instead have felt truly like a partner. It’s awesome. I have laughed a lot, and have slept well knowing that the day was well spent.

Last night we all had the chance to join in on a local cell group (small group Bible study held in someone’s home) and it was perfect. It was truly heaven on earth! One of the ladies, Maureen, shared with us how much it means to them to have visitors from the US come and spend time here in Masii, how much they love us and pray for us. She told us how blessed they feel that we care for them, and how much it hurts when we go back home. I was deeply touched to hear this, and I know that all too soon I will have to say goodbye again, and it’s just going to suck—for me and for them. But I can also cherish the fact that we are crying because the relationships formed here are real, that hearts are being touched, and that lives are being changed. What’s not to love about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, you know, unless they suck.